Monday 5 April 2010

Vino Toro

Kate and I have run out of shoe polish to mix with milk so we thought we'd sample some of Argentinia's famous red wine. As I don't know a lot about wine I find it very difficult to make an informed choice but one brand seemed to enjoy a significantly higher profile than the others: indeed very few park benches or patches of wasteground are without an empty box or two of Vino Toro ("Bullswine").

Luckily it also turned out to be the cheapest alcohol available in the supermarket at just £1 for a litre brick. One of the (many) things I like about the packaging for Vin Toro is that the images of grapes used on the "tetrabrick" are extremely pixellated. This may help to keep costs down.

And the taste? Well it didn't taste as much like grapes as I had anticipated: it was more of a mix of ribena/sweet and coffee/bitter. The box doesn't tell you how strong it is but I would say that it was probably stronger than beer, but less strong than spirits like vodka or brandy. Overall it was quite nice.

Wine, then: to be honest I can't really see what all the fuss is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment