Thursday 15 October 2009

Pant's Grass, Oregon

Grant's Pass has got a big statue of a Caveman next to the I5 motorway.

It was errected in 1971 by the Oregon Cavemen a bunch of dudes who, when they felt the time was appropriate, would dress up in fur loincloths and ride around on a parade car with a big cage on it. If they saw any girls they liked they would throw them in the cage, take them to the caves outside town and party like it was 1999BC. I don't think they're allowed to do this any more for health and safety reasons. And, you know, women's lib and that.

In fact some residents think that the caveman projects a rather backwards "redneck" image for the town and would have it removed: indeed in 2004 it was badly damaged in an arson attack. I like to think that the rebuilt statue pleases all parties: the removal of the cavewoman-being-dragged-by-her-hair from the statue's right hand could have left the monument looking imbalanced or incomplete but the brave decision of the restoration committe to replace the existing 8 foot errect penis with a simple loincloth ensures that the statue strikes a fine balace both aesthetically and politically. Bravo.

There is also a shop selling slightly too small T-Shirts! These are the ones I didn't buy.





No ODB shirts. I told the guy behind the counter that I saw a guy wearing one in an off licence in London shortly after Big Baby Jesus went to meet Big Daddy Jesus which featured a white print of this image on baby blue hoody w/ real gold teeth. When I told the guy wearing it that I liked it he just replied "He did what he liked, dinee?". So true. So very true.

The guy in the shop proceeded to describe this image to me in some detail, explaining that he had seen it on a shirt in New York.


We agreed that that sounded pretty good.

Generally there is quite a lot of wierd stuff in Grant's Pass.





Also I bought a gun shirt from a charity shop.

Guy in a bar told me what it was (I thought it just had snappy suede patches) shortly before I told him of my belief that if America hadn't joined WWII we'd all be speaking Portugese now. And then an early night...

No comments:

Post a Comment